Pre-Surgery Approval Process
Outlined below are the pre-surgery steps that will take place after your physician has referred you to our program:
- Attend an Introductory Seminar. These seminars are routinely held at least once per month. Please call us at (510) 869-8972 to sign up as space is limited.
Register Online for the Introductory Seminar
You will be given upcoming dates and times to select from. Keep a note of the place and time of the seminar as it can change from month to month. Bring the completed Patient Packet to the seminar.
- Attend the nutrition and exercise class. We will call you to sign up for this class once you have turned in paperwork from the Introductory Seminar.
- Your physician provides us with your recent (last 3 months) history and physical, mammogram/pap smear, or fecal occult blood testing when indicated.
- First surgeon visit. You will have an interview and examination by one of our surgeons.
- Preliminary approval. If you meet the criteria for bariatric intervention and want to proceed, we begin our usual evaluation process that includes a dietary consultation, psychological evaluation, ultrasound of the gallbladder, and esophagogastroduodenoscopy. We also consult with a pulmonologist, cardiologist, and have you undergo sleep studies if needed.
- Second surgeon visit. Upon completion of the work-up, you return for a second visit with the surgeon.
- Surgery scheduling. If the surgery is to proceed, we schedule it pending insurance approval.
- Primary care physician communication. We maintain close contact with your physician as you progress through the evaluation process.
Please call our Program at (510) 869-8972 if you have any questions, or email us at ABSMCWeight@Sutterhealth.org.
- (510) 869-8972