Education Resource Services
Caring Staff and User Friendly Resources
Now more than ever, cancer patients are taking an active, informed role in their medical care. To support this role, Markstein Sevices provides materials for individuals looking for site-specific cancer information.
Markstein Services offers information regarding treatment options, diagnostic techniques and work-ups as well as information about managing your cancer treatment and creating a team approach with your physician.
The Center, home to both Markstein Services and the Family Resource Center, is a calm, quiet location with comfortable chairs and tables.
Markstein educational resources include:
- Onsite computers and updated list of useful websites
- Cancer related periodicals
- Binders with current events listed for cancer survivors and families throughout the Bay Area
- Cancer Tool Box DVD’s and guided-imagery tapes and CD’s
- Educational pamphlets, periodicals and books on all types of cancers
- Materials and information on cancer prevention and screenings
- National Cancer Institute sponsored “CancerHelp Institute” touch screen computer
Markstein services include:
- Trained “Cancer Guides” available for scheduled appointments
- Clinical breast exams
- Prostate, skin and colorectal screenings
- Support services for those touched by cancer
- Smoking cessation counseling and classes
The Markstein Services are available Monday – Friday, 8:30 am – 4:45 pm. For more information, or to schedule an appointment with a trained “Cancer Guide” staff member, please call 510 869-8833.
3100 Summit Street, Ground Floor
Oakland, CA 94609
Enter through the Family Resource Center
View Summit Campus Map
Hours: Monday – Friday 8:30 a.m. – 4:45 p.m.
Oncology Center of Excellence
Carol Ann Read Breast Health Center
Ethnic Health Institute
Markstein Cancer Education and Prevention Services is a department of Alta Bates Summit Medical Center. Cancer donations and gifts are deductible on federal tax returns subject to the limits allowed by the Internal Revenue Service (see IRS Code 170).