NICU - Breastfeeding
There can be many issues surrounding breastfeeding. Did you know that...
- Breast milk is the ideal food for infants and is easily digested
- Mothers who Kangaroo Hold their infants are more likely to breast feed and produce more milk
- Even our smallest babies receive their mother's pumped milk.
- Breast milk offers protection against infection and a variety of medical problems.
The Newborn Intensive Care Unit has its own, private Breastfeeding Room as well as Lactation Specialists. Members of our Lactation Team are in the unit to help:
- Promote and support breastfeeding
- Provide education for parents
- Assist with initiation of breastfeeding
- Consult with moms experiencing difficulties, such as low milk supply, engorgement, collection of milk, etc.
- Provide inservices and serve as a resource for staff
The Breastfeeding Room is a place where mom can pump if she does not choose to pump at the bedside.