Facts About Eating Disorders
Studies show that with proper treatment most patients make a full recovery and go on to lead healthy lives.
- Anorexia Nervosa and Bulimia Nervosa are chronic relapsing illnesses that tend to be very difficult to cure.
- Eating disorders generally begin during adolescence and young adulthood, although they can also first appear in older individuals.
- Most individuals with eating disorders are high functioning females, but males are also affected.
- Anorexia Nervosa is the most fatal illness in all of psychiatry. In one study, once people received the diagnosis of anorexia, 20% of people died within 3-4 decades.
- In that same study, two-thirds of individuals with anorexia remained ill and never recovered.
- Almost 5% of girls and women will develop an eating disorder over their lifetime.
- Your best chance at recovery is now! Studies show that chances of full recovery decline as the individual remains sick longer.