8 Critical Questions to Ask Your Doctor
Talking with your doctor is one of the best ways to assess your risk factors for heart disease.
Be prepared for your next doctor's visit with a list of questions. Here are some specific questions you might ask to better understand your level of risk for heart disease.
- What screening or diagnostic tests for heart disease do I need?
- If I have a family history of heart disease, am I at greater risk?
- What are "my numbers," and what do they mean?
- If I smoke, what is the best way for me to quit?
- How much physical activity do I need to help protect my heart?
- What is a heart-healthy eating plan for me?
- What are the warning signs of heart disease or of a heart attack?
- If I experience signs or symptoms of a heart attack, what steps do I need to take?
About the Cardiovascular Center of Excellence
At Alta Bates Summit Medical Center, our heart specialists deliver compassionate patient care using leading-edge procedures, to patients living throughout the San Francisco East Bay area. While our cardiac services are located in Berkeley and Oakland, patients come to our heart center from Hayward, Pleasanton, Lafayette, and other East Bay communities as well as from greater California and the United States to seek the best cardiac hospital care available. Our experienced team of top heart and cardiovascular specialists strive to work with each patient to identify the best treatment options for heart and vascular conditions. Whether you need a top heart surgeon (or specialist), a cardiac specialist, a vascular or thoracic surgeon, or one of our best-in-class cardiothoracic specialists - our doctors, nurses and technologists will work with you to strive for the best cardiovascular care for your unique needs. We strive to be the best cardiac hospital not just in the San Francisco East Bay but for every patient who enters our heart center, whether they come from Oakland, Berkeley, or beyond the Bay Area.