General Volunteer Program Requirements
Volunteering is a valuable and rewarding experience. It gives the opportunity to demonstrate care and compassion while at the same time providing a sense of purpose and involvement within our community.
Our General Volunteer Program is for adults who are 18 years or older and meet one of the following criteria:
- Students who completed at least one full year of college
- Adults looking to explore the healthcare field looking to gain healthcare volunteer experience
- Adults considering returning to school
- Postgraduates Graduate students
- Please note: Volunteers who hold or have held a certification or license for which he or she is normally paid may not volunteer in the clinical departments.
The General Volunteer commitment requires:
- Time Requirements
NOTE: All Volunteers must understand that after completion of their initial 100 hours, their first department of choice in a clinical area may not be available due to high volume and limited openings. If this happens, the Volunteer may be offered another clinical department for their second 100 hours. Volunteers can choose to remain in their non-clinical department or do both.
- Minimum hours per week: 3-4 hours a week, pending on department needs
- Mandatory: Minimum of 100 hours in a department in need
- After mandatory hours are completed: Option to transition to department(s) of choice based on availability
View Our General Volunteer Departments
After reading all of the steps of the General Volunteer Requirements, click on the link below to fill out an application. Complete all sections on the application page including:
- Name and Address
- Emergency Contact
- Requirement for Active Service
To send a completed application, press the continue button. You will then receive a submission confirmation with instructions to e-mail us at: firstname.lastname@example.org for the next steps in the process.Online General Volunteer Application
- Corporate Screening Background Check Instructions
This process is done online at the cost of $9.50 by credit card and is non-refundable. Corporate Screening must be completed within 72 hours of submission of your application.
- Health Clearance
Prospective General Volunteers complete an Online Orientation after the background check is completed and after the Volunteer Department has received all immunization documents.
- Interview & Shift Placement
Prospective General Volunteers will be scheduled for an in-person group interview. Participate in a Group interview at ABSMC Volunteer Department on a Tuesday or Wednesday from 8:30am-12pm (Required). It is rare, but occasionally we have group interviews on Thursdays. This is the time when your volunteer days and hours will be discussed. Once you are set up for an interview date, you will be e-mailed an interview outline and available shifts and times before your scheduled group interview so you can see what’s available prior.
Post-interview the Volunteer will obtain the following:
- 1 Polo Shirt - $21.85 (Must be paid by debit/credit card at the interview)
- 1 Pair of Khaki Pants (Must purchase on own)
- 1 Pair of Tennis Shoes (Must purchase on own)
- 1 ABSMC Volunteer Badge (Received after completion of the Volunteer Orientation)
- Review Kiosk signing in and out process
- General Volunteer Program Placement