Is My Teen in Trouble?
There are clear warning signs between normal teenage self-expression and autonomy, versus real trouble or danger involving alcohol, nicotine and drugs. If you are concerned about the attitudes and behaviors of your teen, you need to understand the challenges in developing an action plan that is based on individual responsibility and choice.
Just like parents, teens desperately want honesty, trust and a spiritual base upon which to build their future.
Thunder Road can help your family regain the dreams, and learn the skills to change the roles, relationships and communication styles in your family.
What are the signs of trouble to look for?
- Sudden or exaggerated irritability, secretiveness, or hostility
- Easily provoked, uncooperative, temper flares
- Withdrawn, depressed, sullen
- Reluctant to introduce or talk about new friends, avoidance of old friends, excessive demand for privacy
- Refuses to discuss alcohol or drugs, becomes defensive when signs of drug use are discussed. Defends occasional or experimental use by friends.
- Unusual silliness, giddiness, nervousness, or excessively talkative
- Argumentative, not doing chores or forgetful of family occasions
- Usual thought patterns out of order, forgetfulness, paranoia
- Tardy to school, un-excused classes, drop in grades or activities
- General lack of motivation, "I don't care" attitude, lying, or dishonesty
- Stealing, telling half-truths, or unexplained need for money
- Insists that teacher or parents are unfair, insists that alcohol or drugs in their possession belong to someone else
- Involved in shoplifting, burglary, or other delinquent contacts with police
- Heightened sensitivity to touch, smell and taste, and changes in eating habits
- Poor physical control, staggering, loss of coordination
- Watery red eyes, drifting stares, and unusual pupil size
- Runny nose, nausea, vomiting, hacking coughs or tremors
- Awake or sleeping at unusual times
- Smell of alcohol or drugs on breath or clothes
Parts reprinted with permission of P.R.I.D.E. of Atlanta, GA, 30303